Tuesday, May 11, 2010

#11 Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Goddamn this is a long movie. Took me just under a month to get through it. It's a little peculiar that just one of the trilogy makes its way so high up on the list, as they are basically all one movie. Which is the only way to make these books into movies that are any good. That being said, this is clearly the most interesting piece. Great action, profound moments of introspection and the final resolution to a truly epic adventure. This story is awesome and it took some major talent and even bigger balls to turn it into such a great movie trilogy. I’ve read all the books and I cannot have imagined it better than the finished product Peter Jackson gave the world.
The last scene is truly touching for me. It grips me with feelings of loss and of being lost. What do you do when you say goodbye to a friend closer than a brother forever? How do you live your life after living through such a harrowing adventure? Where do you go when you have seen the what the world has to offer? These questions are so moving to most people that they can’t be answered fully. Ever. I am for some strange reason quite susceptible to these sentiments as I am feeling quite adrift at the moment. On some level, I feel like it was me saying goodbye to my best friend as I realize that this amazing story that has captivated me for the last 2 years is now over. Call me a nerd, but I get that way after the final episode of every beloved TV show. I can’t even speak for the first 20 minutes after the last episode of Cowboy Bebop and I’ve seen the whole series 4 times.

Anyway, I don’t think there is anything particularly different about this movie compared to the other 2, so I am just going to say one thing: I think Tolkien was a master.

No comments:

Post a Comment